Hello! Thank you for your interest in engaging me as a speaker. A "speaker rider" contains topics and clarifications that help us reach an agreement that helps both you and me feel good about the collaboration.
I'm assuming here you have a knowledge about me and my expertise in digital ethics and design. If not I recommend you familiarize yourself with my passions through my blog. You will also find slides and video from some of my talks on Notist.
Prerequisites for my participation
- We are in agreement about payment for the engagement. I do not give talks for free except under certain circumstances for charity events and non-profit organizations. In part I can accept payment through your purchase of my handbook for the participants, when that is a good fit. If you don't know what my knowledge and participation is worth for you, let's talk. 😊
A general guide is €2,500 for a keynote address, €1,500 for an inspirational lecture and €1,000 for smaller events. I like to be generous with Q&A sessions as the benefit and value I can bring participants is important to me.
- We are in agreement about the topic area. I am always grounded in digital ethics and responsible innovation, but I can lean on examples and topics that are especially important to the target audience: for example: accessibility, design, futurism, equality or abuse.
- Any required travel and accommodation is reimbursed.
- Participation in the conference is included (if this is a conference with multiple speakers).
- If more than two speakers there is a clear and communicated diversity effort on display. I reserve the right to withdraw my participation if there is an obvious tilt where mostly privileged people such as myself are on stage. Efforts to engage first-time speakers are also appreciated.
- I can give talks online when needed and have my own studio, with good lighting, that I can broadcast from.
- At some conferences I have contributed a pre-recorded talk, and participated live as part of a Q&A session. I appreciate how this relieves stress over tech issues and also allows closed captions to be prepared beforehand.
About inclusion and sustainability
I am always curious about your attention to these issues and when you can tell me more (where relevant) I am always very thankful.
- Are the premises adapted for easy access for people with mobility constraints?
- Is there support to access the content (for example speaker system, hearing loop, sign language, live captioning)
- Have you taken into account sensory impact to reduce audiovisual overload and/or provide a calm space for quiet recovery?
- Is there clear signage so that one can easily wayfind without having to find someone to ask?
- Is there a clearly designated person and/or channel to report experienced discomfort if this occurs (harassment, prejudice, etc.)?
- Is there a clearly designated person and/or channel to opt out of photography and sound recording, or sharing of contact information? What does the routine look like for honoring these requests?
- Have you taken into account food allergies and fragrance sensitivity?
- Is there a strategy to minimize climate impact?
- Have you received professional guidance on inclusion and sustainability?
- The price can be affected by the number of participants (this is good information up front) and any wish to record. If a talk is recorded my opportunity of revisits and new contacts can be impaired. But sometimes it's the other way around. Context will decide in the end.
- I invoice through my company and apply VAT where applicable.
- Any required photos and bio information can be found in my press kit. I will happily provide a talk description when we are discussing arrangements and topic details. I always provide slides from my talks in PDF format for distribution to participants, after the presentation. Some slides may be omitted for integrity reasons.