Speaker Rider for Per Axbom
Hello! Thank you for your interest in engaging me as a speaker. A speaker rider contains topics and clarifications that helps both you and me feel good about the collaboration.
I'm assuming here you have some knowledge about me and my expertise in digital ethics and design. If not I recommend you familiarize yourself with my passions through my blog. You will also find slides and video from a selection of my talks on speaker.axbom.com.
Prerequisites for my participation
- We are in agreement about payment for the engagement. I do not give talks for free except under certain circumstances for charity events and non-profit organizations. In part I can accept payment through your purchase of my handbook for the participants, when that is a good fit. If you don't know what my knowledge and participation is worth for you, let's talk. 😊
A general guide is €3,500 for a keynote address, €1,500 for an inspirational lecture and €1,000 for smaller events. I like to be generous with Q&A sessions as the benefit and value I can bring participants is important to me.
- We are in agreement about the topic area. I am always grounded in digital ethics and responsible innovation, but I can lean on examples and topics that are especially important to the target audience: for example: accessibility, design, futurism, equality or abuse.
- Any required travel and accommodation is reimbursed.
- Participation in the conference is included (if this is a conference with multiple speakers).
- If more than two speakers there is a clear and communicated diversity effort on display. I reserve the right to withdraw my participation if there is an obvious tilt where mostly privileged people such as myself are on stage. Efforts to engage first-time speakers are also appreciated.
- I can give talks online when needed and have my own studio, with good lighting, that I can broadcast from.
- At some conferences I have contributed a pre-recorded talk, and participated live as part of a Q&A session. I appreciate how this relieves stress over tech issues and also allows closed captions to be prepared beforehand.
About inclusion and sustainability
I am always curious about your attention to these issues and when you can tell me more (where relevant) I am always very thankful.
- Are the premises adapted for easy access for people with mobility constraints?
- Is there support to access the content (for example speaker system, hearing loop, sign language, live captioning)
- Have you taken into account sensory impact to reduce audiovisual overload and/or provide a calm space for quiet recovery?
- Is there clear signage so that one can easily wayfind without having to find someone to ask?
- Is there a clearly designated person and/or channel to report experienced discomfort if this occurs (harassment, prejudice, etc.)?
- Is there a clearly designated person and/or channel to opt out of photography and sound recording, or sharing of contact information? What does the routine look like for honoring these requests?
- Have you taken into account food allergies and fragrance sensitivity?
- Is there a strategy to minimize climate impact?
- Have you received professional guidance on inclusion and sustainability?
- The price can be affected by the number of participants (this is good information up front) and any wish to record. If a talk is recorded my opportunity of revisits and new contacts can be impaired. But sometimes it's the other way around. Context will decide in the end.
- I invoice through my company and apply VAT where applicable.
- Any required photos and bio information can be found in my press kit. I will happily provide a talk description when we are discussing arrangements and topic details. I always provide slides from my talks in PDF format for distribution to participants, after the presentation. Some slides may be omitted for integrity reasons.
If you are looking for inspiration for your own rider or guidelines, you are welcome to copy and remix the content here. Also have a look at Tatiana Mac's brilliant speaker rider which may give you more ideas on what to include.